Movies & TV

What movie inspired you to start your martial arts training?
    I was inspired by many movies (i.e. Bruce Lee, etc.). However, the ones that really stick in my mind are the Seven Samurai and some of the old dubbed Kung Fu movies (esp. the movies with Gordon Liu).

As a kid, I always loved martial arts movies where it was good fighting evil and where hardwork & dedication overcame training difficulties.

Will
    Black Belt Wiki
    http://www.blackbeltwiki.com
      Lil Sarnt It wasn't a movie that inspired me initially. My first inspiration was the old TV show "Kung Fu." I used to watch this as a child and then go outside and reenact the episodes. I was a strange little kid.
      Will - Black Belt Wiki Karate cowboy? Far off. Billy Jack was a Hapkido expert and of Navaho indian background! :)

Will
      Black Belt Wiki
      dtaylorbrazil It wasn't one movie but many English dubbed movies. During the winter time I enjoyed watching Kung-Fu Theatre. It seems like the plot was always the same. Bad Samurais or ninjas raid a town. A survivor travels and trains with a master while his wounds heal. He then comes back with several other victims and takes the village back.
    • 173 more comments
    Martial Arts in Motion Picture
    As a bit of a fluke, it appears I have an opportunity to appear as a close quarter combat fighter in a motion picture. I have a dual career as an attorney and a writer. Recently, I wrote a book about a Jewish Resistance fighter in WWII Poland. One of the main characters is a fellow who studied Krav Maga from Imi Litchenfeld (before it was called Krav Maga). A movie director asked if I would be interested in playing in the movie. I said, "Yes, I would like to play Ari Levine" not really expecting a response. The answer came back "Okay",

So, I am thinking about how to go about this. I have talked to some others who have done this and the response is it is actually very easy. You simply carefully choreograph several fight scenes and practice with your stage opponents. I thought this could actually be very fun. Then it occurred to me, wouldn't that be a fascinating exercise in a school. The students would design some "fight scenes" and enact them at testing time.

Just thinking out loud. :)
      DW Duke There has been a new development. David Kahn, Esq., Chief US Instructor for The Israeli Krav Maga Association, assisted in creating the fight scenes for the book and will also assist in choreography for the movie. The book is now available. holocaustfighter.com
      Al W On this subject, I am currently (attempting) writing my first screenplay, not an easy task but I like a challenge.
      The screenplay is for a Martial Arts Movie
      PAUL (paldo) REYNOLDS @ DW D: Exciting ! congrats. Let us know so we can see it. Good luck with it.
    • 9 more comments
    Kuro Obi - Black Belt
    Has anyone else seen this film? It stars genuine karate black belts and in my opinion is one of the more realistic martial arts films in terms of no wires, no tricks just pure karate. The opening scenes as shown in this clip also shows a good example of sanchin kata and also what looks like it could be tencho in the water. https://youtu.be/5G0h6t1HTsI
      Andy @James, yes I have seen it and I really enjoyed it. Without giving too much of the plot away it is part MA movie and part war movie. I agree it is one of the better/karate movies and is a million miles away from the wire work of more fantasy based MA movies.
      Will - Black Belt Wiki Nicely done. Looks almost like a documentary.

What is the rest of the movie about?

Will
    • 4 more comments
    Martial Arts Christmas Video
    Since we are approaching the holidays, I thought you would find this martial arts Christmas video entertaining. It is a parody of the "12 Days of Christmas" song.

Almost everyone in the video is a MMA fighter except for the initial woman - I guess she is a ring girl (who walks around the ring carrying a sign stating the number of the round).

This video has over 1 million views on Youtube.

Will
    Black Belt Wiki
    Most popular martial arts commercial
    Here is a video of one of the most popular martial arts commercials ever made. This Steven Seagal commercial has received over 2 million views on Youtube. Enjoy!

Will
    Black Belt Wiki
      Andy I like it! It looks less staged than his last Aikido demonstration! :)
    Top 10 Martial Arts Movies
    Here is a list of the 10 supposedly most "influential" martial arts movies. Do you agree with this list? If not, what movies are they missing?

This video covers & has clips on the following movies:

1. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
    2. The Matrix
    3. The Karate Kid
    4. Seven Samurai
    5. Ong-Bak
    6. Fist of Legend
    7. The Way of the Dragon
    8. Kill Bill
    9. The Legend of the Drunken Master
    10. Enter the Dragon

Will
    Black Belt Wiki
      Andy As promised here is a list of 10 films that I think have been influential in generating popularity in the actual practice of martial arts

1. The Big Boss Bruce Lee's first full on martial arts film that pretty much reinvented the Kung fu movie and inadvertently lit the fuse of the Kung Fu boom in the 70's
      2. Enter The Ninja This was the first film to feature Sho Kosugi (though he was the bad guy in this particular movie) he would go on to star in various other Ninja movies and was pretty much single handedly responsible for the Ninja boom of the 80's
      3. Kickboxer (the original not the recent abysmal remake), Jean Claude Van Damme kicking the crap out of Coconut trees and Tong Po respectively, introduced a whole new generation to Muay Thai in the early 90's (it was released in 1989).
      4. The Karate Kid (again the original movie and its diminishing sequels and not the recent one starring Jackie Chan and no Karate!!!) we have plenty of fans here on the community who can attest to Mr Miyagi and Daniel sans influence!
      5. Ninja Turtles Yes, I know! But the pizza munching radioactive mutant sewer monsters have been responsible for getting young kids into dojo' for years now!
      6. Blood sport Another Jean Claude Van Damme effort which although now controversial (as it was supposedly based on a true story that it turned out 'allegedly' not to be quite so true), this movie was very influential in the early development of MMA though and was a kind of blueprint for what MMA was supposed to be before it evolved into what it is today
      7. The Matrix As well as being responsible for messing up the heads of a load of paranoid schizophrenic nut jobs (who are convinced that the movie is real and that we ARE actually living in a virtual reality state controlled by malevolent lap tops and toaster ovens) this was the first mainstream movie to feature lots of bullet dodging, gun snatching tomfoolery that is quite prevalent in modern MA/Action movies and is therefore at least partly responsible for the current popularity of Krav Maga (despite not featuring the martial art in the movie).
      8. Kung Fu Panda As with the Ninja turtles the Kung fu Panda movies have been responsible for getting a whole new generation of kids interested in martial arts, at least some of whom have actually been bothered to put down their iPads and X boxes long enough to go out and actually train!
      9. The Bourne Identity if the Matrix was inadvertently responsible for the current popularity of Krav Maga this is the movie that put a more (ahem) 'realistic' spin on the whole single handedly taking on a room full of armed opponents armed with a pencil type of thing.
      10. Anything with Steven Seagal in it, not only because some of his earlier movies were quite good and helped boost the popularity of Aikido, but also because his current (endless) list of abysmal direct to DVD bargain bin movies make us all so angry and frustrated that we all want to go out and kick and punch things! :) That's my list (again as with all lists it is purely my own opinions and does not necessarily correlate to anyone else's point of view or understanding of reality :)
      Andy [171668,Will - Black Belt Wiki], I agree with some of the movies listed here (though not necessarily with the order, though as with most things in life, actual preference is highly subjective and as such, lists of the top 10 of ANYTHING are pretty much guaranteed to upset just about everyone :), I'll add my personal top 10 shortly (which will be a far superior collection which everyone will agree with)! 😂
      davina brown I would rather see a film like Kuro Obi any day than watch any of the mass entertainment movies crammed with visual effects (Crouching Tiger, etc.) and fight sequences that just go on and on - even after crushing blows have been delivered (Ong Bak).

Also, the performances of the real-life black belts in Kuro Obi are so natural it makes you wonder why more dedicated martial artists are not making films for an audience of martial artists. After all, most martial artists discovered martial arts watching movies.
    • 16 more comments
    Martial Arts: The Real Story Parts 1+2
    Excellent MA Documentary
      Andy Ok here are parts 1 and 2 (hopefully with better sound quality though again I haven't checked yet lol) https://youtu.be/mxMxoE4uoMo https://youtu.be/JmAWeX6eAbA
      Andy Just watched this myself and apologise for the crappy sound (though it isn't my fault lol), to be honest I didn't watch it before posting and it is a while since I last saw it (before rewatching tonight), I'll try to find a better version as (despite some stuff I don't personally agree with) there are some excellent insights (especially in part 2).
      ChuckD I know what i'll be watching tonight.
    • 1 more comment
    In honor of the Green Hornet's passing (Bruce Lee's TV crime fighting ...
    With the passing of the Green Hornet (Van Williams), I thought you might like to watch a scene where he and Bruce Lee (as Kato) fight Batman & Robin.

Will
    Black Belt Wiki
      Andy [171668,Will - Black Belt Wiki], an excellent clip! RIP Van Williams.
      Here is a clip from the movie Dragon The Bruce Lee Story (which although being a decent movie bares only a slight resemblance to the actual truth of Bruce Lee's Life, death, film and MA career) you can tell just from watching the original Green Hornet/Batman clip provided by Will and this clip some of the extent of the liberties that where taken in this movie! https://youtu.be/G4cvTaP7RS8
    Movies containing realistic self-defense scenes
    A while ago I asked the forum if martial arts movies are good or bad for martial arts (see http://community.blackbeltwiki.com/post/5681891/are-martial-arts-movies-good-or-bad-for-martial-arts). Thanks to everyone who replied. Today I have a somewhat related question. A few days ago, I watched “House of the Flying Daggers” by Zhang Yimou. I like the movie a lot, however, I think I can safely assume that most forum members would agree with me that the bamboo forest fight scene is not exactly realistic (this is not meant to be criticism). For argument’s sake, let’s say this fight scene is at one end of the spectrum regarding realism. What movies can you suggest that are at the opposite end, that is, movies that contain self-defense scenes as they could happen today, or could have happened in former times? The movies needn’t be martial arts movies per se.
      Andy I completely agree with [171668,Will - Black Belt Wiki] and [212430,James] on this (that even the fights in movies that are billed as 'realistic' are still choreographed) and bare very little relation to actual fights (and I have witnessed/broken up and been involved in more than my fair share)! In my experience the average fight usualy takes place between 2 or more non MA practitioners and is either over very quickly or descends into a scrappy (and often humorous) mess as in James' Bridget Jones clip, neither of which scenarios make for entertaining movie fight scenes.
      Will - Black Belt Wiki Here is some guy's video compilation of the most realistic movie fights scenes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXQ1xcKW2zY

Interesting how many of these scenes involves "Jason Bourne" or Jason Statham.

Will
      Black Belt Wiki
      James I am only semi joking with this https://youtu.be/iapVomK4eFA
    • 4 more comments
    Your Martial Arts Movie
    Imagine you have been handpicked to write, direct, and star in a movie based on a famous Martial Artist (any famous MA practitioner, not just the movie stars).
    Who is your Martial Artist of Choice?
    Why them?
    What kind of movie do you make about them?
    Who would you cast in the role?
    Would you stick to the facts or make it loosely based on them?
    Would you re-imagine their story in a different way?
    What role would you play in the movie and why?
    How would you carry out your research for the movie?
    Would it win an Oscar (Never likely to happen but there's always hope)?

Let me here your thoughts
      James My artist of choice is Steven Seagal.
      Because be is the "biggest" martial artist of all time.
      It would be a movie depicting one mans struggle against pie.
      I would play the judge in the pie eating contest.
      There is free pie so I think Seagal would show to play himself.
      I would research the role by eating some pie myself.
      Hell yeah its going to win an Oscar. Best pie.
      DW Duke As I mentioned earlier, I stumbled across an opportunity to participate in a movie about a Jewish Resistance fighter in Poland in WWII. It is actually based on a historical fiction novel based on a true story, that I wrote. It is much broader than the martial arts segments so I would be reluctant to bring in a very big name who would detract from the storyline. However, if I was to bring in a big name it would probably be Chuck Norris to make cameo appearances as Imi Litchenfeld.
      Andy [212770,Al W], I have been thinking why MA movies never win oscars and I have concluded that it is because they are often formulaic, unbelievable and badly acted. As such I have decided to fix this by making a live action remake of Bambi. In my version Bambi (played by Tony Jaa) discovers that his entire family have been brutally slaughtered by hunters, Bambi then spends 3 years in LA training in the deadly art of Thai-Bo and then go's off to use his skills to hunt the hunters. As you can see this is a totally original idea and nothing like it has ever been done in a martial arts movie before!
    • 5 more comments
    Kung Fu Yoga - New Jackie Chan Movie
    Here is the trailer for Kung Fu Yoga, a new Jackie Chan movie. Looks like a martial arts version of Indiana Jones. It is scheduled to be released in early 2017.

Will
    Black Belt Wiki
      Andy [171668,Will - Black Belt Wiki], this looks good (as per most of Jackie Chans movies), of course Jackie is no stranger to Indiana Jones type movies, Armour Of God and its sequel Armour Of God 2 (Operation Condor) are both classics. https://youtu.be/gAJgFn0yCHo
      https://youtu.be/BP2k1zRAgQw
    Signature "techniques" used in popular martial arts movies.
    What are some of the signature techniques used in popular martial arts movies? Please pick the single technique that is most associated with a particular movie. For example, [218075,Michael Reeves] has pointed out the Karate Kid's crane technique and Karate Kid 2's "drum" technique.

Also please state if you think that technique might be useful to learn or it was just done for looking interesting/flashy to movie audiences.

Will
    Black Belt Wiki
      Will - Black Belt Wiki Donnie Yen's use of Wing Chun "chain punches" in Ip Man. Of course, since it is a movie about a master of Wing Chun, you would Donnie Yen's signature move to be a Wing Chun technique. :)
      • 0 1 vote
      Al W Nobody going to mention the "Crane Kick"

Or what seems to be a modified Mae Tobi Geri
      Mark The Sonny Chiba "X ray" punch from The Street Fighter- always makes me laugh. I liked the skipping side kick the best in Enter the Dragon but the somersault kick has got to be up there for sheer theatrics.
    • 35 more comments
    Follow-up to Karate vs Bear
    Last week, we had news from Japan that a man used Karate to defend himself from a bear attack. It appears that someone filmed the attack... well, not really. This commercial shows how a man AND bear can use martial arts to defend themselves... it will make you laugh.

Will
    Black Belt Wiki
    Jackie Chan - My Stunts part 1
    Jackie Chan Stunt Documentary
      Will - Black Belt Wiki [171807,Andy]

Great find. Liked seeing Jackie Chan's "stunt lab".

Will
      Andy In honour of Jackie Chans honorary Oscar here is the man himself (at least I think he is still a man though he now has so many metal and plastic parts he could technically qualify as a cyborg. :)
    Bloodsport thoughts?
    I havent seen the movie in so many years, as a kid i thought it was awesome

I recently rewatched the movie and realized how many flaws there were in the kumite fighting **shakes head**

Besides the fact that few of them could actually fight, the worst moment for me was when one of the actors turned the wrong way from the blow of the kick.
      PAUL (paldo) REYNOLDS @ Andy-Sama. Wu Tang Collection-Shaolin Drunk Monkey movie.:" Losing is to be humble ! ".
      PAUL (paldo) REYNOLDS Ah, a fun thread ! You've caught my interest @ Chris Adamchek, now I must watch Bloodsport and I don't know anything about this movie...perhaps I was living in other lands too long. @ Andy, I'll give you my close inspection in a short form. Perhaps we may have the same judges "eye".
      Andy [171786,Christopher Adamchek], I love 'Bloodsport', it is my favourite JCVD movie (it did spoil it a little when I found out the 'truth' behind this supposedly true movie though lol) and yes, some of the fight choreography does leave a little to be desired on close inspection! :)
    • 10 more comments

Become a wiki community member if you want to receive our weekly newsletter with all of our recent top-rated posts!

All rights reserved.
Legal Disclaimer