Join the Wiki Community to add a comment or post a question.
Please vote for the most useful & interesting posts & comments. The voting system (1^ 0v) is located on the bottom of each comment & post.
How to Post
To reply to an existing conversation, please use the "Write A Comment" box at the bottom of every message or click on a "Reply" link. To start a new topic, please use the "Post Something" button on one of the main sections.
Community Rules
  • Be civil, respect other martial arts styles and no spam! Violators will be banned.
  • Please do not post individual school events (i.e. a new Monday class), numerous links to personal blogs, etc. They will be deleted.
  • Remember to vote posts up or down.
  • Add martial arts or your style (i.e. Karate) to the title of your post in order for martial artists to find it via Google, etc.
  • New members - Please be aware that if you do not post at least once in the first month or two after you join, your account will be potentially deleted for inactivity.
  • FAQ - Answers to common questions.
  • Contribute information to main wiki.
  • Contact us
  • What movie inspired you to start your martial arts training?
    I was inspired by many movies (i.e. Bruce Lee, etc.). However, the ones that really stick in my mind are the Seven Samurai and some of the old dubbed Kung Fu movies (esp. the movies with Gordon Liu).

As a kid, I always loved martial arts movies where it was good fighting evil and where hardwork & dedication overcame training difficulties.

Will
    Black Belt Wiki
    http://www.blackbeltwiki.com

Share this post with a friend.
      Lil Sarnt It wasn't a movie that inspired me initially. My first inspiration was the old TV show "Kung Fu." I used to watch this as a child and then go outside and reenact the episodes. I was a strange little kid.
        Edward Loved Kung Fu the series, as well... Bruce Lee's Enter the Dragon captivated me to the point of joining my first Martial Arts school (Karate-Do)
        Trevor Hill Yep, me and a friend used to play stick fighting with broom handles. I still have the scar on my forehead!
        Paul Yea, me, too. LOL I think, I must have been aged around: 8/9/10? Anyway, I loved watching David Carradine/and, The Water Margin. I think, I was still too young to get in to see Bruce Lee movies; though, one day, I recall I sneaked in to Brixton Cinema in South London, and, watched The Big Boss...wow, the Nunchaku work...had me sitting right up on the edge of my seat...the sheer speed whoosh whoosh...AMAZING! I recall going back home; then, I went and sawed off both ends of my mum's broomstick; and, then, drilled a hole into both sides of these sticks...then, attached some shoe laces...and, would practice doing Nunchaku for endless hours and hours...until I too could go whoosh whoosh! Now-a-days, funnily enough, I don't use Nunchaku, anymore; though, I still keep a couple of pairs at home(hardwood/and, safer plastic foam...which don't hurt when the Nunchaku comes back and hits you in the elbows/head/fingertips). I no longer believe Bruce Lee was perfectly 'invincible', neither. But, certainly, that era was what started me off...on what seems to be an endless LIFELONG journey towards studying martial arts/and, martial arts related stuff: Chi Gung/TCM-Traditional Chinese Medicine. I even tried Chinese Massage/Accupuncture/and, Cupping; happy to report it works...though, I might not be able to say exactly how...?!
        Mamon Wesley david carradine kung fu tv show was very inspirational to me as young kid just started to practice martial arts i was also that strange little kid mimicking kwai chang caine from the flute to his bare feet this was the best tv show every LIL SARNT
        Will - Black Belt Wiki I loved that TV show too. Of course, this marks us as middle aged. :)

Will
          Lil Sarnt Who says...lol. it cdve been re-runs or something recorded.
          (Really you are correct.)
            Will - Black Belt Wiki In honor of David Carradine & Kung Fu - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEtKj6keoYU
              Paul Thanks for the link...going there, now...! ;-)
              • 0 1 vote
      Will - Black Belt Wiki Karate cowboy? Far off. Billy Jack was a Hapkido expert and of Navaho indian background! :)

Will
      Black Belt Wiki
      dtaylorbrazil It wasn't one movie but many English dubbed movies. During the winter time I enjoyed watching Kung-Fu Theatre. It seems like the plot was always the same. Bad Samurais or ninjas raid a town. A survivor travels and trains with a master while his wounds heal. He then comes back with several other victims and takes the village back.
        Will - Black Belt Wiki Ha! Very true.

Question for everyone - What other common themes are in martial arts movies? For example, the bullied victim who takes up martial arts to turn the tables on the bully.

Will
      Barry Whisnant Billy Jack had to be my favorite and my first inspiration. I'm of Indian descent and btw, I have the box set.
        Will - Black Belt Wiki Billy Jack is a great martial arts movie. Here is my favorite scene from the movie - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVX-voqWuwY

Will
        Black Belt Wiki
      Ray McLean I wasn't inspired by movies ,
      But there again I did start my martial art adventure at the age of 8.
      But i did enjoy watching shintaro lol
        Will - Black Belt Wiki Since I had never heard of Shintaro, I had to do some research! This has resulted in a wiki page - http://www.blackbeltwiki.com/shintaro-the-samurai

Curse you Ray :) Now, I have another great martial arts show to distract me from training & the wiki!

Surprised this show never made it to the US given its huge popularity in Australia.

Will
      Xatoichi I am not ashamed to say that it was first the Ninja Turtles and then the Mighty Morphing Power Rangers. HOOAH!
      Andy Hi [177142,Jaime A Duarte Chiquita], I love the 2 Ninja movies Scott Adkins made, and @Tim
      Waeyaert, interesting, that's a sign of the times lol, the boundaries between movies and games are getting ever thinner.
      Rosa Fontanez I'm embarrassed to say that the movies that made me want to take karate where those chinese martial arts movies where you heard the people speak but their lips never moved until they stopped talking. I remember thinking at 10 years old, I can do that (well the realistic stuff). It took moving away, a husband, and two kids before I was able to train. It was what I thought it would be. It did not disappoint me. I was home.
      Andy Billy Jack, that's a new one to me, and I thought Chuck Norris was the only Karate cowboy.
      Paul Collins The movie that first got me interested was "The Trial of Billy Jack" (I might be showing my age here) and then I loved the David Carradine "Kung Fu" TV series.
      Andy I'm guessing that it was probably the Karate bullies and their evil Sensei (played excellently by Martin Kove) as opposed to extraneous house hold chores, seriously though nowadays Mr Miyagi would probably find himself in court for enforcing child labour! :)
      Kay Waters The Samurai series in the early days of television, and then Jackie Chan's movies gave me an early love of martial arts.
      Aaron Bennett I'm 37 years old and overweight, have high blood pressure and high cholesterol and I'm stressed out......so stressed out. My son has been doing Kyokushin Karate for a couple of years and all that time I've thought I'd like to have a go. Finally did it and I now have a reason to eat right, train and exercise some self control. So far it's been a life change that's been unbelievably positive.
      Irfan Bruce lee
      Simon Bloodsport
      Filip Kratochvil I was around 13 and got beat up a few times by older kids. Shortly after seeing Bloodsport on VHS, ITF opened up classes in our school. Talking about coincidence.:-)
      Van Damme was my hero for a few years. :-) I remember seeing that movie at least 20 times.:-)
      Andrew Brown Tai Chi Master with Jet Li.
      Showed me Tai Chi is magical and I wanted to understand it immediately. Now I do and I did confirm, it is magical.
      AbhishekTripathi Actually its the basic instinct inside...movies only keeps you a little motivated... Real kumite and movie fights (choreography actually) are completely different things. A bad fighter may be a good fight choreographer. In my view...
      Jeremy Harris Enter the Dragon and pretty much all the Bruce Lee movies
      Maqsood Mansoor Of course bruce lee but Ninja turtles is another cartoon show that inspired me as well.
    • 156 more comments

Become a wiki community member if you want to receive our weekly newsletter with all of our recent top-rated posts!

All rights reserved.
    Legal Disclaimer