Join the Wiki Community to add a comment or post a question.
Please vote for the most useful & interesting posts & comments. The voting system (1^ 0v) is located on the bottom of each comment & post.
How to Post
To reply to an existing conversation, please use the "Write A Comment" box at the bottom of every message or click on a "Reply" link. To start a new topic, please use the "Post Something" button on one of the main sections.
Community Rules
  • Be civil, respect other martial arts styles and no spam! Violators will be banned.
  • Please do not post individual school events (i.e. a new Monday class), numerous links to personal blogs, etc. They will be deleted.
  • Remember to vote posts up or down.
  • Add martial arts or your style (i.e. Karate) to the title of your post in order for martial artists to find it via Google, etc.
  • New members - Please be aware that if you do not post at least once in the first month or two after you join, your account will be potentially deleted for inactivity.
  • FAQ - Answers to common questions.
  • Contribute information to main wiki.
  • Contact us
  • Should martial arts instructors know CPR & first aid?
    When you combine out-of-shape middle aged adults and vigorous martial arts training, you have the potential for medical emergencies.

Do your instructors know CPR & first aid? Or should they only know how to call 911? Does your school train for medical emergencies (i.e. heart attack, broken bones, serious bleeding, etc.)?

Related question - How has your school dealt with medical emergencies in the past?

Will
    Black Belt Wiki
    http://www.blackbeltwiki.com

Share this post with a friend.
      Trent Zelazny Taking a CPR class next week, actually. Everyone should probably know, in life in general, but especially when it involves anything physically active. I wish I had done it ages ago. Better late than never, I guess.
        Will - Black Belt Wiki I agree that everyone should consider taking a CPR class. You just might need it for your elderly parents, spouse, child, etc.... in addition, to a fellow martial arts student, co-worker, etc.

Everyone should also train with an AED (Automated External Defibrillators) as those are being added to many school practice fields and businesses.

Will
      Tirang R. Neyestani Hi there,
      I'm a clinician and my specialty is clinical nutrition. Knowing CPR and first aids could work for every body, let alone a martial artist. I have seen some cases of nasal fracture which were handled quite unnecessarily painfully by a karate instructor who knew nothing about the bones and fractures!
        Will - Black Belt Wiki Hi [242481,Tirang R. Neyestani]

Do you mean that they tried to straighten out a broken nose? Ouch!

Here is the Mayo Clinic's advice on taking care of broken bones - http://www.mayoclinic.org/first-aid/first-aid-fractures/basics/art-20056641

Will
          Andy [171668,Will - Black Belt Wiki] and [242481,Tirang R. Neyestani], you mean you don't need a set of pliers and a shoe to reset a broken nose? 🤔
          Tirang R. Neyestani Exactly!!!
      Joe Bramblett Really, everybody should know basic first aid by the time they're out of high school. At least enough to know not to move the patient unnecessarily, basics of how to minimize risk if they must be moved, controlling severe bleeding, etc. (Theoretically, splinting and such would be good to learn, but for the most part, if you've got to move the patient, it's because there's an immediate deadly hazard and you don't have time for much prep. That would be more for backcountry activities where the patient is going to be assisted or carried some distance anyway. In the dojo, we can work around them until the cleanup crew shows up.)
      I'll appreciate you calling 911 and praying until the ambulance shows up, but I'd really feel better in a world where 80-90% of the people knew how to do the above too.
        Will - Black Belt Wiki Joe

Very good point about knowing how to control severe bleeding. Given that the walls of some martial arts school are covered in mirrors, there is always the chance that someone falls (or is thrown/knocked) into one of these mirrors and receives a severe cut.

Will
        Black Belt Wiki
          Joe Bramblett I could also see a lot of value there in case of a compound fracture, but mirrors and practice weapons (sharpness is less relevant if it hits hard enough) are common hazards that can cause serious bleeding.
      Terry scott I am a registered nurse and have been training for 40 years,to my mind spend a day to be able to assist your students and classmates is both sensible and in the spirit of martial arts. Doesn't take long and red cross usually holds regular sessions which won't cost too much and make you confident. Try it guys.
        Will - Black Belt Wiki Hi [190246,Terry scott]

Based on your experience as a nurse - Is there anything else that instructors should know health-wise in order to help their students? Or should they just focus on CPR & basic first aid and leave everything else for EMTs?

What would you add to a basic first aid kit for a martial arts school?

Will
          Terry scott The basic kit should serve well,the main aim is to preserve life and mimimise injury. I am not sure of laws in other countries but here in uk if you stay within the red cross first aid course,which covers uch things as bruises ,breaks ,heart attacks,fits ect you are covered from litigation and usually can get EMT amulance response in around 15 minutes. So I would do course and buy thier kit. Need to renew every year but that is only a day course and will reassure parents when sending kids to a school.
            Will - Black Belt Wiki Interesting. I hadn't realized that this issue also had a positive "marketing" angle. Parents of prospective students are already nervous that their child might be injured during martial arts training (and thus leery about signing up their child). It would be useful to not only to verbally allay those fears but also to show on your school website that all instructors are trained in CPR & first aid and that the school has an annually rehearsed medical emergency plan.

Will
      Mitt Radates Basic first aid (bandages, cold packs, R.I.C.E. and CPR) fine, but anything beyond that should mean a call to EMS. Any large school should invest in an A.E.D. as well.
        Will - Black Belt Wiki Mitt

Excellent suggestion about AEDs (Automated External Defibrillators)... which should be required at all sports events.

And members if you don't know R.I.C.E., it means Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation.

Will
      Todd Mendenhall Yes, I think it is responsible and ethical for any Instructor to know basic first aid. They should know CPR, as well as, how to deal with Concussion and minor injuries. Martial Arts, can be dangerous if the proper control is not initiated, so understanding the difference between minor and major injury is imperative.
        Will - Black Belt Wiki Hi [221956,Todd Mendenhall]

Welcome to the community! Great point about concussions. Instructors & parents need to watch out for signs of a concussion (i.e. due to a strike to the head or a head striking the ground during a throw) and they should always err on the side of caution. Please see a medical professional if there is any chance of a potential problem.

Here is the CDC's page on concussions (i.e. signs & symptoms of a concussion) - http://www.cdc.gov/headsup/basics/concussion_symptoms.html
          Todd Mendenhall Great follow and link Will. I think this is the side as with many other fields, instructors forget about. I also teach concealed carry, and a great many of the other instructor's haven't even thought about the "what if". We owe it to our student, ourselves, our family and the Arts to be prepared for the "what if".
            Andy Hi [221956,Todd Mendenhall], welcome to the community, I fully agree, also I would point out that 'what if' has a lot to do with MA training in the first place! Whether for sport or self defence, we should have answers to anything an opponent (or life) throw at us.
      Beth Loomer Everyone should be trained to deal with these things. Who knows when it will happen your own home even.
        Andy Hi [220307,Beth Loomer] and welcome to the community :) Excellent point!
        Beth Loomer Thank you for the welcome. That thought is why I am trained in CPR and First Aid.
        Will - Black Belt Wiki Hi [220307,Beth Loomer]

Very good point & welcome to the wiki community.

CPR & first aid is very useful in order to help martial arts students or even instructors. Moreover, I would hate to be in the situation of trying to save my own son, wife, mother, friend, etc. and be thinking "I wished that I knew CPR".

Will
        Black Belt Wiki
      Sensei-Chap1 Yes, As a responsible business owner and/or instructor it's the right thing to do. Shows that you genuinely care about your student's safety and well-being. Should you ever unfortunately become faced with having to save a life in your dojang you'll be able to render initial critical assistance. I would not want to pass this one up...too risky in my opinion.
      Andrea Harkins "The Martial Arts Woman" Yes, for sure. While it's been a while since I've taken a course, my husband and son have both updated their training recently.
      Llewena Carrero In Australia for emergencies you call "000".

Most instructors I know have basic fist aid training or a First Aid Certificate.

I have a First Aid Certificate and thankfully to date I haven't had to use my knowledge.
        Steve Marshall Over here in the states, I believe the "Good Samaritan Law applies as long as you stay with the person you're rendering first aid that you are able to (to include CPR as well), you are covered as far as liability is concerned. It's always a good idea to check the definition & the wording as it applies.
      Christopher Adamchek my teacher handles the insurance but we have never had an issue with minor problems (some cuts, chipped teeth, ect)
      Im the only teacher that is CPR/first aid certified......which i need to get renewed
        Will - Black Belt Wiki One of the advantages for martial arts schools - people (even parents) expect the occasional injury and thus are not lawsuit crazy.

However, if someone is really hurt due to negligence, that is probably another story.

I wonder if a school does not have a written & rehearsed emergency plan (i.e. how to deal with a heart attack) - Does this put them at a legal disadvantage (as well as a moral disadvantage)? I am not a lawyer so I have no clue. I would love to hear the comments from any school owners/instructors about the need for emergency training & plans.

Will
          Steve Marshall If an individual is inured in any way as a result of negligence, it is a whole different ballgame altogether & that's where it gets "downright ugly"
      ChuckD Good question.... Thought I fall in the out-of-shape middle aged category the only real injury I've had the last 3 years was ripping a toe nail off playing dodge ball with the kids.
      Andy Just make sure that your school has plenty of tiger balm and super glue and all will be well! :)
        Will - Black Belt Wiki Read the question about insurance & "liability"... your answer is freaking out insurance companies everywhere. :)
          Andy As long as your school is insured for fire, theft, flood, and random attack from Ninja, Ronin, Zombies, Pirates and large dangerous animals then it is all legally secure and covered. :)
            Will - Black Belt Wiki They definitely need insurance for photo-shopped Santas with sake bottles. :)
              Andy I think that is covered under indemnity insurarance though I could be very wrong! :)
              • 0 1 vote
            Andy Ps you may like to take out extra cover for small dangerous animals such as ferrets, wasps and scorpions! :)
      Will - Black Belt Wiki I have just added some links to various Red Cross CPR, AED & First Aid courses on this community page - http://community.blackbeltwiki.com/post/6128634/cpr-aed-first-aid-training-for-the-dojo-or-home

Will
      Gregory Grove yes
        Andy Hi [242745,Gregory Grove] and welcome to the community! that is a very concise and straight to the point answer, I like it :)
      Gary All instructors should have a basic first aid knowledge.
      But sometimes its hard to know ... There was a young bloke at my club ... About 2years younger than me... He had asthma ... Always had his inhaler.
      Few years later he found out he had a hole in his heart ... Past away 15 year ago
      Ralph A cautionary tale about relying on certifications in CPR for dealing with emergencies. The certified staff froze, and a man is alive because a former flight attendant happened to be working out that night. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/actress-saves-man-says-more-need-cpr-training-1.3954323
      Luke Bluntly, yes. I think the expectation and insurance thing is they need to be qualified in first aid which includes CPR also. Sport orientated first aid rather tan just normal anything past minor issues is a Ambulance thing though. As i believe somoen fainted before i went to where i go to TKD they know how to deal with it in that context the organisation also offers first aid to instructors i think. Anything more than first aid mainly in a sports context cant go wrong though. I am trained in basi first aid at least but have nothing to show it and i dont know how much i remember.
      Fernando It won't hurt.....l take it. from red cross..or from local fire department. I was rock climbing.many years ago And l did save some24yo.kids LIFE. who felt down
      .110ft......so yes ..take,it...it won't hurt
      Fernando Not by law......but for to have the ability. To help someone
    • 55 more comments

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter
    Facebook | Twitter

All rights reserved.
    Legal Disclaimer