Join the Wiki Community to add a comment or post a question.
Please vote for the best posts & replies. This encourages people to post useful and/or interesting topics & answers. The voting system (1^ 0v) is located on the bottom of each comment & post.
How to Post
To reply to an existing conversation, please use the "Write A Comment" box at the bottom of every message or click on a "Reply" link. To start a new topic, please use the "Post Something" button on one of the main sections.
Community Rules
  • Be civil, respect other martial arts styles and no spam! Violators will be banned.
  • Please do not post individual school events (i.e. a new Monday class), numerous links to personal blogs, etc. They will be deleted.
  • Remember to vote posts up or down.
  • Add martial arts or your style (i.e. Karate) to the title of your post in order for martial artists to find it via Google, etc.
  • New members - Please be aware that if you do not post at least once in the first month or two after you join, your account will be potentially deleted for inactivity.
  • FAQ - Answers to common questions.
  • Contribute information to main wiki.
  • Contact us
  • Is boxing a martial art?
    Is boxing considered to be a martial art by traditional martial artists?

Share this post with a friend.
      Rob Wallace The sweet science, I would say definitely yes.....perhaps not in the traditional sense... but I would say fits all the markers of a martial art.
      Luke I would say yes and no. It is one in its own right, but it mainly has a sport focus. Doesn't mean you cant beat the crap out of someone or that it doesn't install disipline, respect or fitness. Its kind of good for aggression building actually and the tangent is stopping.
        Luke With that being said, there is a reason why some people have used boxing mixed with a grappling or close in fighting thing. Its kind of a English/ western thing to use boxing as a base and just alter it to use kicks, knees and elbows and merge it with a grapling or close in striking on.
      Rhett Keiser Boxing is the U.S. version of martial arts.
      PAUL (paldo) REYNOLDS boxing is a modern martial art with no furthr linkages to other arts.
      Goldin Christie The Chinese say if you are born in the year of the rabbit you will be fierce fighter, might be hidden power in that rabbit punch!
        Andy Are you sure that was fighter and not .. Anyway enough of that! :)
          Andy What??? I was going to say lettuce eater!
      Goldin Christie Very interesting post, thank you for that
      Will - Black Belt Wiki Given this Boxing vs Savate fight was part of the World Combat Championship, you might like to read more about this short-lived tournament (designed as a competitor to the UFC) - http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/4/4/5577986/mma-origins-world-combat-championships-Renzo-Gracie-Erik-Paulson

Will
      Black Belt Wiki
        Andy Thanks [171668,Will - Black Belt Wiki], great post! And the full event to watch! :)
      Will - Black Belt Wiki Was it the punch to the back of the head that knocked him out?
        Andy Looked like it to me, and the commentator commentated on it. :)
        Goldin Christie It could have been the punch to the back of the head that did it, if the ref. had seen it the boxer might have been disqualified, oh well that's sport for you!
      Goldin Christie I'm glad my bet was in my head and not on paper!
      Goldin Christie I love the video, when they told us of their back story I must admit I believed that Savate would beat Boxing, got that one wrong, just shows how hard it is to know what will and what won't work when put under real pressure
        Andy I had my money on the Savate guy too! :)
        • 0 1 vote
      Andy This is quite a lengthy video but not only does it give a brief history of boxing as a martial art it also has a brief history of the French martial art Savate and then has a decent (in my opinion lol) fight between practitioners of both!
      https://youtu.be/uph0Aujjgj4
      Mark Winter By definition it is a martial art "forms of self-defense or attack"
        Andy Hi @Mark Winter I totally agree. As with most (if not all) contact sports Boxing has its origins in actual fighting techniques and was (before the Marquis of Queensbury rules) much more brutal than the sport it has become today.
        • 0 1 vote
      Christopher Adamchek not my favorite but yes, as everyone else pointed out
      (deleted) The term "Martial Art" is attributed to the Asian Fighting Arts but in truth, it spans all forms of martial prowess including, "Boxing." Oh, but boxing is a sport you say, well, guess what, almost all Asian Martial Arts are sports and very few are actually practiced and applied as a defense system of any kind. See, opinionated am I. :-)
      Will - Black Belt Wiki The definition of martial arts according to the dictionary (Merriam-Webster) is "any one of several forms of fighting and self-defense (such as karate and judo) that are widely practiced as sports".

Boxing easily makes this criteria to be considered a martial arts. It is a sport focused on fighting. Moreover, if a boxer is attacked by unarmed opponent at a bar, he/she should be able to defend themselves.

However, boxing can not be considered in same vein as a martial arts focused on purely self-defense. Boxers do not train to protect themselves against weapon attacks (i.e. knives or clubs), chokes from behind, grappling techniques, etc. Boxing is a western martial arts that has changed over the years from bare knuckle (usually anything goes) brawling and now focuses on winning regulated sparring matches.

Boxing focuses only on punches. While most martial arts combine hand/elbow strikes, kicking and grappling techniques, there are many that concentrate on only one or two of these elements (i.e. judo).

Will
      Black Belt Wiki
        Al W One one hand it is, on the other it isn't. Can you imagine boxing following suit? What would a boxing style grading be like?
      Superamazingbadgerman Yes.

The only reason people don't think of it as a martial art is because it's not Asian, BJJ, or Muay Tai.
        Al W It also get's quite a lot of press internationally. More people see it as a sport than a martial art
      Andy Here are our Wiki's list of European Martial Arts.
      http://www.blackbeltwiki.com/european-martial-arts-styles
        Al W I always thought of Sambo as South American, you learn something new eh
          Andy I think what you have done there is confuse Sambo with Samba which is definately not a martial art, although I did learn from
          [172230,Superamazingbadgerman] that some ethnic folk dances have their roots in traditional fighting methods, similar to Capoeira.
            Al W Well Bruce Lee did Cha-Cha dancing before creating Jeet Kune Do
        Superamazingbadgerman That reminds me, I kinda wanna take up HEMA, what with all the sword fighting and such...
      Andy Hi [213500,Goldin Christie] Yes. As with other western martial arts such as wrestling in its many forms, boxing tends to get overlooked as a martial art. This is mostly due to western perception. When most westerners hear the term 'martial arts' they immediately associate it with eastern arts such as Kung Fu, Karate etc or with iconic practitioners such as Bruce Lee.
      • 0 1 vote
    • 15 more comments

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter
    Facebook | Twitter

All rights reserved.
    Legal Disclaimer