Join the Wiki Community to add a comment or post a question.
Please vote for the most useful & interesting posts & comments. The voting system (1^ 0v) is located on the bottom of each comment & post.
How to Post
To reply to an existing conversation, please use the "Write A Comment" box at the bottom of every message or click on a "Reply" link. To start a new topic, please use the "Post Something" button on one of the main sections.
Community Rules
  • Be civil, respect other martial arts styles and no spam! Violators will be banned.
  • Please do not post individual school events (i.e. a new Monday class), numerous links to personal blogs, etc. They will be deleted.
  • Remember to vote posts up or down.
  • Add martial arts or your style (i.e. Karate) to the title of your post in order for martial artists to find it via Google, etc.
  • New members - Please be aware that if you do not post at least once in the first month or two after you join, your account will be potentially deleted for inactivity.
  • FAQ - Answers to common questions.
  • Contribute information to main wiki.
  • Contact us
  • Dealing With Serious Injuries !
    Serious injuries usually have extreme consequences that prolong practices, promotions, and careers progression. Those who have experienced these effects profess the good side of healing without long term effects, and there are those of negatives with mental trauma and or physically bearing the crises of the unknown fallout or reprecussions. What have you experienced as a serious injury, how did you overcome it, and how did it effect your continuation of karate or any other marttal arts ? For me, it's another hurdle, challenge, and test of my devotion to the Japanese karate-do ! Perhaps your response would help others in sharing your case to those who are currently facing hardship with a serious injury !

Share this post with a friend.
      Andy Minor injuries (to name a few :)
      Broken left hand, fractured right tibia (just below the knee) fractured ribs, fractured knuckles (both hands on more than one occasion) broken toes (again both feet on more than one occasion), fractured right elbow (still have something floating about there now), numerous cuts (some superficial some not so (which I superglued as I hate stitches and hospitals in general lol), I not only trained through these (and other) injuries but never sought medical attention for them either. Tough? (I thought so at the time but now in older age realise I was just *******
      stupid and wouldn't have half the pains lumps or bumps I now
      have HAD I sought medical attention! Serious injuries, had my lower right leg and ankle crushed between 2 forklift trucks at work (I now have a titanium graft on my lower right tibia and titanium screws either side of my right ankle (this I DID have medical treatment for) and was told at the time to forget about martial arts (and that I would be lucky to be able to walk properly again! I was off training for over a year with that one)! More recently, a sprained
      knee (last year) which wasn't too serious but cost me a couple of months off training, also the year before I managed to hospitalise myself for the third time (first before my leg crush was an emergency appendectomy) with a trapped nerve in my neck/shoulder (due to overdoing push ups/Physical training in an attempt lose a few pounds I had put on over the Holliday period to get into a tailored suit I had foolishly bought for a Christening before
      the Hollidays)!
        Andy PS, I will soon be hospitalised for a 4th time as I currently have some sort of hardening lumps below the fingers on my right palm (see my new profile pic) which are becoming painful and are affecting my weapon training and I have been told will have to be surgically removed. :(
          PAUL (paldo) REYNOLDS What a bumer as if you need mooooooore injuries. Recover well ! Looks like time for more sake too.
            Andy [199522,PAUL (paldo) REYNOLDS], sorry I have just noticed you have edited your post, I must say that I would expect that your age and current physical condition 'should' be taken into consideration (and such matters always have been in ALL dojo I have ever been involved in!) I am starting to doubt the integrity of your current sensei (whether Japanese or otherwise) if what you say is true!
              Andy PS, I was waiting for you to defend or explain your recent crap before I issued this final warning but have noticed that despite being logged in to the community over the last four days you have been unusually quiet!
              • 0 1 vote
              Andy [199522,PAUL (paldo) REYNOLDS],
              Sorry Paul/Leroy (or whatever your real name is) but you have lost face and dishonoured yourself with your recent BS and personally I won't be able to take anything more you say seriously (and am now wondering how much of what you have posted here on the community is actually true)! We do try to keep this community fun and friendly but above all 'informative' and delusional nonsense has no place here! On top of this you have had 3 verbal warnings for your overbearing and confrontational manner, any more nonsense or BS and you will be deleted! "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me"!
              • 0 1 vote
            Andy Thank you Paul Sama though in this case mead would be more appropriate than sake :) the lumps are caused by a hereditary condition called dupuytrens contracture (or Vikings disease) my Dad had an operation for the same thing 6 or 7 years ago and has been fine since. Apparently the condition affects those of Viking ancestry, just my luck, i find out I am descended from vikings and what do I inherit? The sword of Valhalla? Thor's Hammer? No I get a bloody disease that is slowly turning my hand into a crows claw! I would have even settled for a pointy hat! :)
              Andy Don't worry, after the operation I am going to change my name to Olaff and build me a long boat! :)
              • 0 1 vote
              PAUL (paldo) REYNOLDS Wow ! Viking ancentry ! You given me homework to research, the sword of Valhalla, Thor's Hammer. We can't say its the luck of the Irish, can we ! I feel your emotion and rightly so, and things will get better for you. Be "tough" ! P.S. I've consulted with my Senior Master this morning on an outline of my training program for the Master Test. Greater conditioning will be up to me, and training will be twice or three times a week depending on how things progress. He said that I have an advantage in already witnessing the test, and that I must be prepared physically as well as mentally. My injury will not have any testing exceptions and age will not be a consideration. Thats good because I want the challenge !
              • 0 1 vote
          KSP08 :(
          Ouch
        PAUL (paldo) REYNOLDS The martial arts dedication shows in which other karate-ka will certainly not miss reading this medical review ! pain endures "hardness" of which we both say "Tough" in bearing the consequences and forgoing our training spirit ! Leadership prevails in the journey.
      KSP08 Sprained MCLs in both knees (separately) as a colored belt. I didn't really take much time off for either one, and as a result they took a very long time to heal.

Mild concussion- got a MRI because I had headaches for weeks and doctor told me no sparring for 3 months. I returned to point sparring afterwards but my training partners limit head contact. They've been great about being extra cautious.

Partial rupture of plantar fascia ligament- this was 8 weeks before my test to move up to 2nd Dan, so I had to train but try to get it to heal, too. For first two or three weeks, I went to a pool and did laps, tread water, and did kicks under the water. I also "boxed" (without footwork), to maintain arm conditioning and cardio. I was able to test with minimal pain 7 weeks later.

Finally, I am currently healing from a bad bone bruise on top of my foot- I've been hobbling around for 3 weeks but about healed up. During the first 2 weeks, I just did abs, push-ups, and kicked with theraband restraint, supporting my injured foot by kneeling on a chair. Used a lot of ice, braces, and epsom salt over last 4+ years!
        PAUL (paldo) REYNOLDS It's admirable that you share your challenges and others should sustain the perserverence you are showing. Wish you well !
        KSP08 Oops, forgot the scratch on my eye. Still hasn't healed correctly- the ophthalmologist said my eye was "interesting". Wish it was "boring".
          PAUL (paldo) REYNOLDS Interestering is right for me too! I have a permanent scratch on eye that I got while in kumite in Japan years ago. It doesn't bother me, it just exists and is not noticeable by the naked eye... I remember my sensei chewing out my opponent for not cutting down his fingernails. I also remember when very young, my stern Korean sensei chewing me out in Korean for not cutting my toe nails...as @ Andy would say " young and dumb". The guys got a good laugh as we were all rookies in karate at that time.
            KSP08 That's how I got mine- a sparring boot grazed my eye. It hasn't healed over- there is a small red line visible on my eye, but nightly eye drops have helped tremendously.
              PAUL (paldo) REYNOLDS Not to insult you, but I've been wondering where that light beem as been coming from, now that I know................
              • 0 1 vote
      James Lots of minor injuries really nothing too serious and I just train around them Cracked ribs, broken hand broken fingers, broken toes.The most recent one which has been a source of frustration is a strained hamstring around a month ago which has been hampering my training which is getting better but not ideal when I have a major tournament coming up in just 2 weeks which is also the main reason ive not been very active here, training has been taking its toll. Competitors coming from UK, netherlands, spain, canada, kuwait, russia to name a few and I still have a slightly gammy leg. Can now kick high again but with insufficient power and at the back of my mind is if i pull it too hard i will be out of the tournament. Careful balance to strike to get it ready without causing a big set back.
        Andy @James, excellent to hear from you (I was wondering where you have been), really sorry to hear about the hamstring injury especially at such an inconvenient time! Hopefully you will have recovered enough to compete (at least in reasonable shape if not in full James power mode) I have to advise though that if you personally don't feel up to it and feel that the tournament will seriously aggravate your injury then then give it a miss. I know this will be disappointing but there will be other tournaments when you are fully healed. Ok now that I have offered that advice which I strongly doubt you will take :) you still have one good leg and two good arms so go get em lol.
          James [171807,Andy] that is indeed excellent advice and is exactly what I would say to someone in my position.However you clearly know me too well and of course ill ignore it๐Ÿ˜‚ its not my strongest kicking leg so not completely disastrous and as you say i still have another foot and knee, two hands and two elbows and will give it my best shot with the available tools. Thanks for the encouragement! Ill update after the tournament and if theres any decent video of me being pumelled ill share!
            Andy [212430,James] lol, wishing you all the best as always (though again I'm sure that your diligent training will ensure you give a good account of yourself regardless of well wishes or injury) please do post any footage if possible. :)
      Christopher Adamchek Fractured toe - i focused on strikes
      Fractured knuckles - i focused on kicks

Pulled a huge leg muscle (which took months to heal) - i focused on being still, working on timing, and countering without mooving when the opponent attacks
        PAUL (paldo) REYNOLDS Know how you feel, I broke all my toes early in my life, and they were rough to heal and break some more again, until I finally learned and smartened up about kumite and hard bag work. I also feel the leg muscle pull in nursling one for 8 months, now the right groin pull I'm nursing and is just completely healed. What do we have in common ? An attitude of never quitting, Fighting Spirit !
    • 3 more comments

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter
    Facebook | Twitter

All rights reserved.
    Legal Disclaimer