Join the Wiki Community to add a comment or post a question.
Please vote for the most useful & interesting posts & comments. The voting system (1^ 0v) is located on the bottom of each comment & post.
How to Post
To reply to an existing conversation, please use the "Write A Comment" box at the bottom of every message or click on a "Reply" link. To start a new topic, please use the "Post Something" button on one of the main sections.
Community Rules
  • Be civil, respect other martial arts styles and no spam! Violators will be banned.
  • Please do not post individual school events (i.e. a new Monday class), numerous links to personal blogs, etc. They will be deleted.
  • Remember to vote posts up or down.
  • Add martial arts or your style (i.e. Karate) to the title of your post in order for martial artists to find it via Google, etc.
  • New members - Please be aware that if you do not post at least once in the first month or two after you join, your account will be potentially deleted for inactivity.
  • FAQ - Answers to common questions.
  • Contribute information to main wiki.
  • Contact us
  • The Future Of Martial Arts?
    Here is an article that shows how some are trying to combine traditional MA training with 21'st century technology. https://www.rt.com/document/58f4f7f1c361885b408b463d/amp
    Do you think this is a good thing or a bad thing (or irrelevant either way)?

Share this post with a friend.
      Christopher Adamchek im excited for UWM to come out soon, definitely bringing martial arts into the future
      Will - Black Belt Wiki Of course, Star Trek's holodeck is the ultimate combination of martial arts & technology :) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6e9vg4c9B4
      Andy [171668,Will - Black Belt Wiki] and [212770,Al W], I agree, even if this technology worked as advertised there are still some very serious fundamental flaws regarding actual striking development. For a start just measuring force is of very little consequence without considering the actual impact implications of a 'perceived' strike without taking into consideration the effect that such force would have on the knuckles (or other striking area) and this can only really be developed or measured accurately by striking actual physical objects (and by diligently conditioning the various parts of the body used to deliver strikes to a level where they will not be damaged by high powered impact), also, in both weapon and unarmed techniques there is the matter of Kime (focus/concentration of force applied to the target area), in advanced martial arts techniques such as Tamashiwari/Tamashigiri (breaking or cutting) the exact point of focus is actually a point 'beyond' the initial target area (the full force of the technique is to go through rather than stop at the intended target) and this can only be understood and achieved by actual physical practice (and tuition).
      Will - Black Belt Wiki [171807,Andy]

Went to the firm's website. No info on how the product works. Not a good sign.

If it is just sensors in a glove tied into an iphone/ipad app then I don't see how it is very useful (other than giving some type of measurement of punching power). It would need to be tied into a Kinect-like motion sensing system that "monitors" all of your movements and tells you when a technique is flawed (i.e. when you have missed a step in a kata). However, the current Kinect gaming system can't be ideal as interest in this computer gaming platform doesn't seem as high as traditional thumb-based games.

This technology would also have the flaw of no-training partners so not very useful for learning kumite/sparring, self-defense, etc.

Will
        Al W At best this would be used as a MA based keep fit video for in the home. It would have to have a disclaimer saying that "Under No Circumstances should anyone attempt to use these techniques without proper Martial Arts Instruction"
          Will - Black Belt Wiki Funny, I think many of the current martial arts Kinect games are fitness-based games that just sense if you have kicked or punched the required number of times for the exercise routine versus providing any details on whether the technique was correct (i.e. not sensitive enough to tell you to stop kicking with your toes :).
      Al W App and youtube are good for ideas, you still need an instructor to help you perfect your technique
      Andy Here are some more MA apps,
      http://appcrawlr.com/android-apps/best-apps-martial-artist
      Are they relevant or just cashing in on tech savvy martial artists?

Become a wiki community member if you want to receive our weekly newsletter with all of our recent top-rated posts!

All rights reserved.
    Legal Disclaimer