Join the Wiki Community to add a comment or post a question.
Please vote for the most useful & interesting posts & comments. The voting system (1^ 0v) is located on the bottom of each comment & post.
How to Post
To reply to an existing conversation, please use the "Write A Comment" box at the bottom of every message or click on a "Reply" link. To start a new topic, please use the "Post Something" button on one of the main sections.
Community Rules
  • Be civil, respect other martial arts styles and no spam! Violators will be banned.
  • Please do not post individual school events (i.e. a new Monday class), numerous links to personal blogs, etc. They will be deleted.
  • Remember to vote posts up or down.
  • Add martial arts or your style (i.e. Karate) to the title of your post in order for martial artists to find it via Google, etc.
  • New members - Please be aware that if you do not post at least once in the first month or two after you join, your account will be potentially deleted for inactivity.
  • FAQ - Answers to common questions.
  • Contribute information to main wiki.
  • Contact us
  • Legs flexibility
    What are important things to consider while doing leg splits training ? And what are things to avoid in our daily activities ?
    I need ur opinions.
      Andy Hi [241486,Roger Ramer] and welcome to the community, the most important thing to consider is to not overstretch yourself and to take stretching (and all other conditioning) gradually and ideally under professional supervision, also it is vital to warm up before even attempting vigorous stretching or in any other way putting excessive strain or tension on any muscles, tendons or ligaments (especially if you are not as young or flexible as you once were like me lol), obviously in a real situation you don't have time to warm up or stretch but years of doing so in training does make one more supple/flexible and able to perform various techniques with less chance of injury (though I do state 'less' as opposed to no injury :)
      Will - Black Belt Wiki Hi Roger

This past community topic looks at leg splits - http://community.blackbeltwiki.com/post/5994816/stretching-splits

It has some good advice on how to improve your splits and links to wiki pages focused on stretches for splits.

Will
      Superamazingbadgerman Flexibility is one of the hardest types of conditioning to nail down. That's because it's a combination between the maximum extension of your muscle, the length of your tendons, and how well you keep those pesky antagonist muscles out of the way for the motion (which is usually the part everyone overlooks and walks all over me for because I've found it to be the most important element to train and someone told them flexibility is about pulling your muscles out and making them as long as possible and then ignoring how they behave for everything else in your life...).

So basically for maximum effect, you should relax into it (letting your tension flow away like you're meditating), feel a gentle pull, and don't force the stretch. I THINK that's what I'm saying...

Anyway, to answer your question, splits put a very high load on your tendons. This is fine if you do them with good form, but you never EVER want to crack your hip joint or knee joint doing the splits (trust me. I did it a few times, and it sucks).

Cracking your joints occurs when a tendon (or more than one tendon) is not aligned in its proper position. With enough force, it either restricts your range of motion and threatens to cause you pain, or returns to its natural position with a snap.

If you load up that tendon with as much energy as the splits gives it, it will snap back with a quite significant amount of force and, more likely than not, hurt you.

I'd say if you have bad hips or you're not good at feeling when your limits are or when you may need to adjust your leg/hip, the splits are not a very good exercise for you.

As long as you're feeling a stretch in your muscles as opposed to a pull in your tendons (and you stop when you either start to feel that pull or the stretch is too much for you), you should be fine.
        Andy [172230,Superamazingbadgerman], excellent (and detailed) advice there Mike, I'm not really up on bio physics but what you have said makes perfect sense!

Martial Arts Books
    Aikido | BJJ | MMA | Karate | Krav Maga | Taekwondo | Other

Click here to become a wiki community member
    if you want to ask or answer a martial arts question.

All rights reserved.
    Legal Disclaimer