Join the Wiki Community to add a comment or post a question.
Please vote for the most useful & interesting posts & comments. The voting system (1^ 0v) is located on the bottom of each comment & post.
How to Post
To reply to an existing conversation, please use the "Write A Comment" box at the bottom of every message or click on a "Reply" link. To start a new topic, please use the "Post Something" button on one of the main sections.
Community Rules
  • Be civil, respect other martial arts styles and no spam! Violators will be banned.
  • Please do not post individual school events (i.e. a new Monday class), numerous links to personal blogs, etc. They will be deleted.
  • Remember to vote posts up or down.
  • Add martial arts or your style (i.e. Karate) to the title of your post in order for martial artists to find it via Google, etc.
  • New members - Please be aware that if you do not post at least once in the first month or two after you join, your account will be potentially deleted for inactivity.
  • FAQ - Answers to common questions.
  • Contribute information to main wiki.
  • Contact us
  • Sparring or martial art games
    Hey everyone, I'm looking for new games to practice in class. The only one I know is the game in which you have to touch each other shoulders or thighs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEka6XITYvU

Any other suggestions ? I don't have any preferences whether it's about sparring, reflexes, ...

[EDIT] I'm looking for games for adults

Share this post with a friend.
      KSP08 We play "steal the bacon"- everyone has a cut up piece of belt tucked in their belt, and you try to steal everyone else's.
      To avoid making a hole in the wall- which i caused by pushing an instructor backwards a few weeks before my first Dan exam- yikes!- I make adults maintain a stance as they move around the room. It feels a lot like sparring as you avoid lunges for your bacon. If yours gets taken, it is tossed into a square on the floor and you can redeem it and carry on until we get down to two.
      Mitt Radates There are several "games" I use to teach my Krav Maga students useful skills and the value of determination. One student lies on the floor, face down while 2 or 3 others use tombstone pads to keep them down and the down student uses the "get-up" technique to fight them off, get up, and exit. In another drill, 3 or 4 students surround another student and use pads to keep them in the middle while the middle student uses strikes against the pads (but not kicks) to exit. Of course, the "suppressing" students use enough force for realism, but not enough to make it impossible. In another game, 2 students face each other and put their hands on the other's shoulders and attempt to unbalance each other. The loser is the one who first has to shift his/her footing. This teaches solid base, good balance and quick reflexes; the amount of energy expended illustrates the need to end a fight quickly.
        Will - Black Belt Wiki Mitt - I like your "game" of getting up under pressure. Does this progress into even more realistic drills where the students must get up under more intense pressure?

Will
        • 0 1 vote
          Mitt Radates Yes and no. Training safety is paramount, so the pressure applied by the "suppressors" is proportional to the size and strength of the downed student. So, for a big strong guy (we've had a couple air marshals and some skilled boxers and folks with 2nd degree black belts in other disciplines) more pressure is applied than for a middle-aged mom or her college-age daughter. Students are told to provide enough resistance to simulate a real situation, but to not make it impossible. As training progresses, students are more adept at "escaping" from both the down scenario and the trapped scenario, so more pressure is naturally needed to provide realistic resistance. Several moms have told me they are glad their college-bound daughters have learned to cope with both situations.
      Erica Try circle sparring. Everyone sits in a circle and gets assigned a number. The first number called is the victim/defender. They run and stand in the middle. Two or three more numbers are called after and they are the attackers. So it's basically two on one or three on one. The object is too get your opponents in a straight line so you're only fighting one on one. It proves a challenge but it's really fun and everyone loves it.
        KSP08 We used to use a similar "circle sparring" drill called "Bull in the middle", but it focuses on one to one fights. One defender is in the middle and everyone has a number and the instructor randomly calls numbers and they jump in to attack, so you're getting surprise attacked from the side or back (at least until you learn who and where each number is. Unless they move spots!). Once the new number is called the previous attacker fades back to the circle, but for a brief moment you do have two attackers.
      KSP08 We had a small class and did a new game tonight that was a lot of fun. Three people make a triangle linking arms, and one person is outside the triangle as "it". "It" is trying to tag a designated person in the triangle, and the triangle shifts to block them from doing so. We also did it some with the target person having their eyes closed and the other two steering. It was a lot of cardio and working on quick fee and required good teamwork. We also did a quick-kicking race game, where someone was in the middle with 2 focus pads, and the other 4 were at 12-3-6-9 o'clock. The instructor flashed the pads to two random students, who had to throw a lead leg technique as fast as possible. The slowest one had to do 2 quick push-ups, squat jumps, etc. then hopped back in. We were all advanced belts, so we later changed it to spins or 360s. It was good reflex training and cardio, and I loved beating the master instructor and senior instructor a couple of times! :) If you had a large class, you would probably be better off to use several circles with just the four kickers- that would make it easier for the pad holder.
        Jean We've also tried it where 1 person is in the middle with their eyes closed, and all others are in a circle around him/her, with a number of them around the circle holding focus pads at different heights and positions. On go, the person in the middle opens their eyes and kicks each of the pads in any order they want. You can also have him/her use a different kick on each pad. Everyone, young and old, have a great time with this game.
      Al W Crab Wrestling - Squat down to just above the floor and try to knock your opponent down
      Flash Kumite - Freestyle sparring with a difference. Each participant has a flash in their belt and the aim is to take your opponents flash using freestyle footwork
      Bulldog - Good for speed, agility, and stamina (especially of your one of the last ones left)
      James One of the things we do for a bit of fun is get three or four people holding strike shields to stand tightly together and each person takes a turn to run up and kick / punch / barge their way through.
      Will - Black Belt Wiki Some good "games" for adults that you can use during warm-ups are agility or conditioning competitions. For example, you could do agility ladder drills for time - http://www.blackbeltwiki.com/martial-arts-agility

Conditioning competitions could be bear races across the dojo, longest superman plank, etc. - http://www.blackbeltwiki.com/martial-arts-conditioning

Will
      Black Belt Wiki
      Will - Black Belt Wiki [242184,Guillaume Chan]

Are you looking for "games" for adults or children?

Here are some martial arts games for kids - http://www.blackbeltwiki.com/martial-arts-games-for-children

Will
        Guillaume Chan I was looking for drills for adults but I'm sure most games for kids can be done by adults too. Thanks for the link.
      Will - Black Belt Wiki FYI - A new topic/post does not go up instantaneously. I need to review it first in order to prevent occasional spam, etc.

Moreover, if I am eating lunch, asleep at night, traveling, etc., it might take a little while (i.e. a few hours) before it is approved. Nevertheless, most new martial arts topics are approved unless it is about politics, race, etc.

Will
      Black Belt Wiki
        Will - Black Belt Wiki I am hoping that the software company that runs this community will eventually give greater privileges to long-term members (i.e. the ability to post without my approval). However, it has been a number of months since I suggested it to them... so don't hold your breath, :)
          Guillaume Chan Hey sorry, the first I submitted the topic I didn't see the notice about approbation. So I thought my post was filtered because of the link I put in it. My bad !
            Will - Black Belt Wiki Not a problem. :) You just prompted me to tell others about the potential for posting delays.

Also generally links to Youtube are generally not an issue... unless you are linking to some ultra violent or controversial video.

By the way, thanks for posting an interesting topic!

Will
        Will - Black Belt Wiki So no need to post your topic twice, I will get to it eventually. :)

Become a wiki community member if you want to receive our weekly newsletter with all of our recent top-rated posts!

All rights reserved.
    Legal Disclaimer