Join the Wiki Community to add a comment or post a question.
Please vote for the most useful & interesting posts & comments. The voting system (1^ 0v) is located on the bottom of each comment & post.
How to Post
To reply to an existing conversation, please use the "Write A Comment" box at the bottom of every message or click on a "Reply" link. To start a new topic, please use the "Post Something" button on one of the main sections.
Community Rules
  • Be civil, respect other martial arts styles and no spam! Violators will be banned.
  • Please do not post individual school events (i.e. a new Monday class), numerous links to personal blogs, etc. They will be deleted.
  • Remember to vote posts up or down.
  • Add martial arts or your style (i.e. Karate) to the title of your post in order for martial artists to find it via Google, etc.
  • New members - Please be aware that if you do not post at least once in the first month or two after you join, your account will be potentially deleted for inactivity.
  • FAQ - Answers to common questions.
  • Contribute information to main wiki.
  • Contact us
  • Tonfa advice
    This is a shout out to [171807,Andy] and any other kobutoka who can give advice on picking out tonfa. I have practiced with the Century Okinawa style tonfa (https://www.centurymartialarts.com/tonfa/century-okinawan-style-tonfas-natural), and it seemed to be a proper fit on both length and handle height. However, after about an hour of practice, I developed a blister from the large nob at the end of the handle.

Based on the measurements provided on their website, all other Century tonfa have larger handles, but based on my hand size, I think they will be too large. I am looking specifically at Century since I want to order them through my dojo.

Does anyone have any advice to help me chose the best sized/shaped tonfa for me? My hand measurements seem to be about 3.25", so the 3.5 feels like a firm grip to me. The idea length for me would be about 18.5", so I will likely have to go a little long.

Share this post with a friend.
      Andy Hi [218075,Michael], I understand the problem, the only ways around it (other than the long and painful process of sticking with the tonfa as they are until your blisters become calloused skin) are to either modify the tonfa yourself (or have someone do it for you), shop around different suppliers (preferably by visiting different MA suppliers so you can try before you buy, or have
      a set of tonfa custom made, you could also try @Will - Black
      Belt Wiki's suggestion of tape to see if that helps. Here is one of the pre eminent experts on Okinawan kobudo weapons with advice on Tonfa selection.
      https://youtu.be/KKTWVUfm530
        Michael I would love to be able to get/make customized tonfa. Unfortunately, that might not be an option for a while. It sounds like this is a common occurrence when first learning tonfa and is really resolved via hand conditioning over time (like callouses when learning the guitar). If that's the case, I may have already found the correct sized tonfa for me. Thanks!
          Christopher Adamchek i agree
          just watch how you build up getting used to it
          i reccomend practicing very often but for short durations to minimize blistering
      Will - Black Belt Wiki Hi [218075,Michael]

If your current Century tonfa fits your hand - have you thought about putting a little bit of sports tape on your hand to prevent the blister?

Will
        Michael I had not considered that. I was using a set at the dojo and am looking at getting my own set, as I am now starting to learn the Tanfa. I will have to remember this if the set I get have the same result.

Become a wiki community member if you want to receive our weekly newsletter with all of our recent top-rated posts!

All rights reserved.
    Legal Disclaimer