Join the Wiki Community to add a comment or post a question.
Please vote for the most useful & interesting posts & comments. The voting system (1^ 0v) is located on the bottom of each comment & post.
How to Post
To reply to an existing conversation, please use the "Write A Comment" box at the bottom of every message or click on a "Reply" link. To start a new topic, please use the "Post Something" button on one of the main sections.
Community Rules
  • Be civil, respect other martial arts styles and no spam! Violators will be banned.
  • Please do not post individual school events (i.e. a new Monday class), numerous links to personal blogs, etc. They will be deleted.
  • Remember to vote posts up or down.
  • Add martial arts or your style (i.e. Karate) to the title of your post in order for martial artists to find it via Google, etc.
  • New members - Please be aware that if you do not post at least once in the first month or two after you join, your account will be potentially deleted for inactivity.
  • FAQ - Answers to common questions.
  • Contribute information to main wiki.
  • Contact us
  • Slow Summer Months
    Does your martial arts school see less students training during the summer? Do you train less in the summer?

In a related vein - Do you feel recharged after the summer slowdown? Or do you find that you have forgotten techniques or kata/form steps after the summer break?

The wiki definitely slows down in the summer as people take vacations and do less martial arts research.

Will
    Black Belt Wiki

Share this post with a friend.
      Micheline Gravel I don't have much to add since our dojo shuts down for 7 weeks. Schoolkids leave with their parents, parents leave with their kids, even military personnel goes South for at least a week at some point. We take advantage of this time to do a major cleaning of the mat and otherwise neglected nooks and crannies.
      Bill Emmes Summer definitely creates a slow period in the school as most people are out on vacations, spending more time with their family and doing more outdoor projects together. This is a time of the year that has the most influence on attendance.

For me, I don't take a summer break, so my efforts seems to stay pretty focused. I am fortunate enough to be able to spend quality time with two fellow students that have the same commitment level as I do and we practice together to keep sharp and continue the learning process. The advantage of this is a more one-on-one training as the class is definably smaller.

I do take the first week of June off to celebrate my Wedding Anniversary with my wife - 39 years married, 6 years dating....I guess she is going to keep me, LOL!!
        Will - Black Belt Wiki 45 years together? Your wife must be a saint. :)

My wife always jokes that our marriage has an expiration date. Luckily, we have not reached yet!

Will
          Bill Emmes Hi Will!

I like to think she is. she has stuck with me for a long time. Although she jokes as such like your wife...so I try not to push her too far.
      Beth Loomer Our school is having a large slow down this year. I am still there 5 nights a week but even some of our more dedicated students are taking time off.

At some point this summer we plan on once again doing a camp out at the beach and will hold class on the beach.
      Will - Black Belt Wiki One advantage of less people in the summer is the chance for more one-on-one training with instructors. So if anyone needs extra help, this can be a good time to ask as instructors have more free time available... assuming that they are not on vacation too! :)

Will
      James We definitely get less school age students training over the holidays as many of the less committed - or those with less committed parents take a break along with the break from school. Even many of the die hards will take a week or two vacation some time through out the summer if they are on a foreign holiday etc.

For me personally I have no plans to take any time out of the dojo this year and when I do to be fair I still find a way to train where ever I am so dont tend to have any issues forgetting anything as a consequence.

The summer kicks off this weekend with a bit of extra training in the form of our annual summer camp which lasts 2 days and has typically 5 or 6 training sessions
        Will - Black Belt Wiki Is your summer camp purely focused on martial arts training or is it a mix of martial arts & fun (esp. for the kids in your school)?

Will
          James It is a mix of martial arts and fun . There is usually a bouncy obstacle course for the kids a firework display and a few drinks for the adults on the night before the kids arrive. They have a number of organised traditional kyokushin lessons and often has the opportunity to work with bo or nun chuks and to try out a different complimentary art such as krav mga, bjj or aikido dependent on whos coming along this year.

Become a wiki community member if you want to receive our weekly newsletter with all of our recent top-rated posts!

All rights reserved.
    Legal Disclaimer