Join the Wiki Community to add a comment or post a question.
Please vote for the most useful & interesting posts & comments. The voting system (1^ 0v) is located on the bottom of each comment & post.
How to Post
To reply to an existing conversation, please use the "Write A Comment" box at the bottom of every message or click on a "Reply" link. To start a new topic, please use the "Post Something" button on one of the main sections.
Community Rules
  • Be civil, respect other martial arts styles and no spam! Violators will be banned.
  • Please do not post individual school events (i.e. a new Monday class), numerous links to personal blogs, etc. They will be deleted.
  • Remember to vote posts up or down.
  • Add martial arts or your style (i.e. Karate) to the title of your post in order for martial artists to find it via Google, etc.
  • New members - Please be aware that if you do not post at least once in the first month or two after you join, your account will be potentially deleted for inactivity.
  • FAQ - Answers to common questions.
  • Contribute information to main wiki.
  • Contact us
  • Big News
    So today marks my 34th birthday, and amongst the amazing gifts my family gave me I also got one other from my Instructor

Today I graded for my Shodan in Shotokan Karate.
    What started out as a joke turned out to be a lesson in being careful for what you wish for. That being said I'm glad I went for it rather than pulling out when given the chance.

Due to circumstances behind the scene my particular grading has to be harder than my peers.

For the most part it was a crazy blend of basics, kata, and combinations. At points he would change it on a whim. Then some one step sparring and weapon defence thrown in the mix.

When it came to the freestyle fighting I had 1-on-1, 2-on1, 3-on-1, and 4-on-1. The freestyle ended with a fight with my Instructor. After all that I had to finish the day of with Bassai Dai when I have nothing left after everything I had been put through.

It was tough but I wouldn't have it any other day

Share this post with a friend.
      JINXEDFOXY Congrats and happy belated birthday! Now it is only the beginning! Bassai Dai is my favorite kata. One of the two most important belts: your first and your black. Congrats again!
        Al W Thanks [225816,JINXEDFOXY], I'm quite the fan of Bassai Dai myself
      Bill Emmes Congratulations on your birthday and on your Shodan test!! Like your first date, you will never forget this one either.
      S.P. Not to pry but your "circumstances behind the scene" may have included more experience than most who are trying for Shodan for the first time?
        Al W The circumstances behind the scenes are quite lengthy in detail, but in short it involves the parents of some students and their "preferences"
      Beth Loomer Congratulations and Happy Birthday
      Christopher Adamchek Very nice, congratulations and happy birthday
        Al W Thanks [171786,Christopher Adamchek]
      Dave Magliano Everyone remembers their shodan test. Congratulations.
        Al W Thanks [244169,Dave Magliano] it will be one to remember
      Michael Congrats!
      James Well done [212770,Al W]
      Al W One thing I omitted from my post. Up until my spar with my Instructor I was given a handicap of No Kicking
      Kim Congratulations! What a great birthday!
        Al W Thanks [217372,Kim] it was a great present
      Al W That should say any other way
      Will - Black Belt Wiki Congratulations... and happy birthday!!!

Will
      Black Belt Wiki
        Al W Thanks [171668,Will - Black Belt Wiki]
    • 2 more comments

Become a wiki community member if you want to receive our weekly newsletter with all of our recent top-rated posts!

All rights reserved.
    Legal Disclaimer