Join the Wiki Community to add a comment or post a question.
Please vote for the most useful & interesting posts & comments. The voting system (1^ 0v) is located on the bottom of each comment & post.
How to Post
To reply to an existing conversation, please use the "Write A Comment" box at the bottom of every message or click on a "Reply" link. To start a new topic, please use the "Post Something" button on one of the main sections.
Community Rules
  • Be civil, respect other martial arts styles and no spam! Violators will be banned.
  • Please do not post individual school events (i.e. a new Monday class), numerous links to personal blogs, etc. They will be deleted.
  • Remember to vote posts up or down.
  • Add martial arts or your style (i.e. Karate) to the title of your post in order for martial artists to find it via Google, etc.
  • New members - Please be aware that if you do not post at least once in the first month or two after you join, your account will be potentially deleted for inactivity.
  • FAQ - Answers to common questions.
  • Contribute information to main wiki.
  • Contact us
  • 6 "Useless" Martial Arts Techniques for Self-Defense?
    This PJ Media article looks at "Six Martial Arts Moves That Will Get You Killed" - https://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/six-martial-arts-moves-that-will-get-you-killed

Do you agree with their self-defense (fighting for your life) advice? They are opposed to things like kicks to the head, spinning kicks, "going to the ground", inside blocks, etc.

Will
    Black Belt Wiki
      Richie I only see one which I agree with. There is no next button, poor website.

From your list, I agree with all of that. The practice of such techniques makes you a better person and athlete though. As for the blocks, there are no "blocks." They are not effective, at least the ones white belts practice. You receive/counter instead of stop a strike coming to you.

In your training it is all about priorities.

Bodo- self-advancement and inner strength takes priorities
      Jutsu- Self-preservation and technique goes first

You need both to be a well rounded MA-est but one will always come first. Personally, I am a jutsu person.
      David Cochran Hard website for my old laptop to process with so much ancillary advertising going on. I thought the videos were very good. Sure wish I could still kick like the TKD guy. It seemed the presenter was arguing his point from a singular perspective. In that sense I have to agree. I have done many self defense classes to groups with no MA experience and usually no physical fitness in their daily lives. For a group like that, I emphasize avoidance and awareness. We all know there is no one technique to fit every encounter. I always have the group pick their "attack scenario(s), 2 or 3 at the most. Then I will choose one technique for each scenario and drill on that. KISS is the best acronym I know for SD so try to imprint on a person only a few things otherwise they are just going to forget it anyway. Repeat, repeat, repeat.
      When in class, big things stress: if you get to that point when you have to act, put everything into it. Strike, strike, strike, to infinity. Then get the heck out of there. Call for help.

Martial Arts Books
    Aikido | BJJ | MMA | Karate | Krav Maga | Taekwondo | Other

Become a wiki community member if you want to ask or answer a martial arts question.

All rights reserved.
    Legal Disclaimer