Join the Wiki Community to add a comment or post a question.
Please vote for the most useful & interesting posts & comments. The voting system (1^ 0v) is located on the bottom of each comment & post.
How to Post
To reply to an existing conversation, please use the "Write A Comment" box at the bottom of every message or click on a "Reply" link. To start a new topic, please use the "Post Something" button on one of the main sections.
Community Rules
  • Be civil, respect other martial arts styles and no spam! Violators will be banned.
  • Please do not post individual school events (i.e. a new Monday class), numerous links to personal blogs, etc. They will be deleted.
  • Remember to vote posts up or down.
  • Add martial arts or your style (i.e. Karate) to the title of your post in order for martial artists to find it via Google, etc.
  • New members - Please be aware that if you do not post at least once in the first month or two after you join, your account will be potentially deleted for inactivity.
  • FAQ - Answers to common questions.
  • Contribute information to main wiki.
  • Contact us
  • Body conditioning
    Any one out there know how long it takes to see results from shaolin style body conditioning. I know they start very early. I am 27 tho and have started a daily routine of striking my shins abs forarms and other common strike points for about 2 weeks now. Any tips knowledge Is apreciated. Mainly wondering how long before the bone actually get harder thanks.
      Bill Emmes As part of my Hung Gar Kung Fu training, I have been exposed to what is called Bone Marrow Cleansing. Bone Marrow Nei Kung. A practice to solidify both the physical strengthening of the bones, and rejuvenate the organs and glands. An advanced practice of Iron Shirt Qigong, to attain the steel body. Another part of this practice is to increase the spiritual approach to Chinese martial arts/healing.

I have witnessed the Master of our style take serious blows to his body and not even show any indication of injury or bruising. I have seen broken knuckles as a result of hitting his arm....very difficult to get your head around. As for how long would it take to see results, I guess that depends on the manner in which you train and how you approach it.

I incorporate specific portions of this Qigong into my practice. After 4 years of training, I have no problem taking a hit as opposed to blocking it when I was in Ju-Jitsu. I feel that the hit is adsorbed and then allows me to give it back to my attacker. I am certainly a long way from what my Master can do and take, but it certainly is a start.

Last month, we had a 10th generation Monk of this Bone Marrow Nei Kung style, from the Shaolin Temple, give a demonstration at Harvard University. (Our Master is very closely associated with Harvard). A high ranking student gave him a kick into his groin at full impact and he just stood there. He did not move, nor did he display any signs of pain or discomfort. He simply turned and walked away with a smile on his face. This was no deliberate display to boost the ego or practice of this Monk as I heard the kick as it was delivered....and I almost fell over just witnessing it!

Bill
      Dave Great answer thanks helped very much.I am looking for a school to join to help me progress. il never compete at this age but i want it for the benefits physical and spiritual and hopeing i can interest my two kids
      Rachel DS Not entirely sure on shaolin style. We mostly do uechi style conditioning in the dojo (involving striking each other)....am sure there are utube vids of it. This mostly conditions muscle rather than bone. We also do self conditioning using nanchaku (eg shins and arms....more bone) and striking pads etc. In terms of answering your questions. I have been conditioning for a few years. When I started I used to get a heap of bruises and now if I am not careful I generally give out bruises to others who tell me I have concrete legs and iron arms. The aim of conditioning has a few purposes. Some physical and others more spiritual / developmental. Not sure if that helped.

Martial Arts Books
    Aikido | BJJ | MMA | Karate | Krav Maga | Taekwondo | Other

Click here to become a wiki community member
    if you want to ask or answer a martial arts question.

All rights reserved.
    Legal Disclaimer